US troops battling Daesh near site of Afghan bomb strike
KABUL: US troops are still battling suspected Daesh fighters near the site where a massive bomb was dropped in eastern Afghanistan last week, a US military official said on Wednesday.
Nicknamed "the mother of all bombs", the GBU-43 Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb was dropped last Thursday from an American MC-130 aircraft in the Achin district of Nangarhar province, bordering Pakistan.
Since then questions have surrounded the decision to use the weapon, which is one of the largest conventional bombs ever used in combat by the US military.
Afghan estimates of heavy militant losses and no civilian casualties have been impossible to verify in the remote region, with access to the area where the bomb fell still blocked.
The strike drew condemnation from some prominent figures, including former Afghan president Hamid Karzai and Afghanistan's ambassador to Pakistan.
After arriving at the site the day after the strike, US troops fighting alongside Afghan forces have since left, but continue to conduct operations in the broader area, said US military spokesman Captain William Salvin.
"Access has been restricted but that's because it's a combat zone," he told Reuters. "We are in contact with the enemy."
Echoing initial estimates, Salvin said the US military has "high confidence" that no civilians were harmed.
Some Afghan officials have complained of a lack of information about the effects of the bomb.
"We were and we are kept in the dark and still we haven’t been able to go to the site," said one senior Afghan security official, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.
"We are confused ourselves and we wonder what MOAB could have caused."
Information ‘black hole’
In meetings of the Afghan security council, some ministers told President Ashraf Ghani they feared the lack of information from the US side could be exploited by Daesh, which has continued radio broadcasts claiming none of its fighters were killed.
Salvin would not comment on claims by Afghan defense officials that nearly 100 Daesh fighters died in the strike.
The attack was aimed at destroying an "extensive" complex of fortified tunnels and mines and not any particularly large concentration of fighters, he said.
"Our assessments are ongoing," Salvin said, noting that the strike appeared to have collapsed many tunnels, destroyed mines, and "reduced" several nearby structures.
US troops have continued to use explosives to collapse other tunnel entrances not destroyed by the bomb, he said.
For at least a month before the strike, the US military had broadcast radio messages warning of coming operations by American and Afghan troops in southern Nangarhar, and leaflets were dropped on areas affected by the operation, Salvin said.
One leaflet seen by Reuters in a village near the strike shows a picture of a drone with an Afghan army emblem and reads: "We ask residents to leave as soon as possible to save their lives."
Several villages near the blast site have been largely abandoned for months as fighting increased between Daesh and the US-backed Afghan forces, locals said.
"There were daily bombings and fighting," said Khan Afzal, a local policeman on a recent patrol in the village of Abdul Khil, less than a mile from the strike.
"Afghan forces used to fire artillery, bombs were dropped by foreign aircraft, and even Daesh fired rockets at us and at the villagers," he added.
Residents in Achin district say that they knew of no civilians still living voluntarily in the areas near the Daesh stronghold, but it is still not clear if other non-combatants may have been involved.
"The people who'd normally be talking have fled, and there have been very few reports from inside Daesh territory," said Kate Clark, a senior researcher for the Afghan Analysts Network. "The jury's still out on many things with this strike."
Some local residents suggested there may have been prisoners held in the tunnel complex, she added, but the area has been something of an information black hole since Daesh militants were first confirmed there in 2015.
The Afghan offshoot of the Middle East-based, extremist militant movement is small - presumed to number a few hundred fighters - and is battling foreign and government troops as well as rival insurgent groups, most notably the dominant Taliban.
The Petya ransomware makes a computer unusable until a ransom is paid One of the strange features of cybercrime is how much of it is public. A quick search will turn up forums and sites where stolen goods, credit cards and data are openly traded. But a glance into those places may not give you much idea about what is going on. "Everyone can join as long as you speak Russian," said Anton, a malware researcher at security firm SentinelOne, who has inhabited this underground world for more than 20 years. "By Russian I mean the USSR, so there is Ukrainians, there is Kazakhstan, there is Belarus. The Romanians are doing all the dirty work like spam and maintenance so they are not really involved in developing malware," he said. "But, today, is it mainly Russian? Yes." Those vibrant underground marketplaces have a long history and Anton adds that he tracks the malware makers to gain insights into what they might do next. "I was there from the very early stages,&q…
Activists have circulated amateur videos showing women being beaten
leading Shia Muslim cleric has told his followers to retaliate if women
are attacked, in a warning to the country's security forces.
In a sermon delivered at Friday prayers Sheikh Isa Qassim said: "Whoever you see abusing a woman, crush him."
The outburst has added to growing tension in the Gulf island state.
Shia protesters have faced the brunt of the security
crackdown un the past year, as the Sunni monarchy attempts to cope with
their demands for reform.
Activists have highlighted and circulated amateur videos
showing women being beaten and arrested by male security officers since
protests erupted in the capital Manama in February.
In a passionate and angry sermon, a video of which has been
seen by the BBC, Sheikh Qassim said on Friday: "Let us die for our
"How do they who do this to people expect the people t…
Cybersecurity predictions for 2016: How are they doing?
Like death and taxes, few things are more certain than the annual deluge of cybersecurity breaches, which shows no sign of abating despite the best efforts of the 'good guys' -- the security industry, CSIOs, government bodies, 'white hat' hackers, academics and others. Another fixture in the tech calendar is a spate of articles around the turn of every year that attempt to predict how the cybersecurity landscape will change over the next 12 months.
At the beginning of 2016, ZDNet's sister site Tech Pro Research examined 244 cybersecurity predictions for 2016 from 38 organisations, and assigned them among 22 emergent categories (occasionally splitting a prediction among two or three categories). The results were as follows:
Predictions from: A10 Networks, Appriver, AT&T, BAE Systems, Blue Coat, DataVisor, DomainTools, Experian, FireEye, Forrester, Fortinet, Hexis Cyber Solutions, HyTrust, IBM, Imperva, Kasp…