148 sexual abuse cases against peacekeeping forces

New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) As many as 148 allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse relating to personnel in peacekeeping and special political missions of the United Nations and 111 relating to non-UN related entities were reported in 2018 against 138 in 2017 and 165 in 2016.

The UN Secretary-General's report on "Special Measures for the Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse: Implementing a Zero-Tolerance Policy" was issued in New York on Monday.
It includes data on allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse relating to personnel in peacekeeping and special political missions, other UN entities, implementing partners and non-UN international forces.
It said the number of cases of sexual exploitation and abuse reported for peacekeeping missions has decreased to 54 in 2018 against 62 and 104 in 2017 and 2016, respectively.
The report also provides information on measures to strengthen the system-wide response to sexual exploitation and abuse, including the Secretary-General's 'new approach' in this regard and progress in implementation of a zero-tolerance policy.

"Majority (74 per cent) of the allegations received in 2018 are from the peacekeeping missions in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO), with the remaining 26 per cent associated with the operations in Mali (MINUSMA), Haiti (MINUSTAH), Liberia (UNMIL), and South Sudan (UNMISS)," it said.
"Allegations reported for peacekeeping missions were associated with 94 victims, of whom 83 per cent were adults and 17 per cent minor. Alleged perpetrators included 64 military, 14 police and 14 civilian personnel. Of the allegations reported in 2018, 20 (37 per cent) involved sexual abuse and 34 (63 per cent) sexual exploitation of an adult," it said.
There were no allegations reported for special political missions in 2018, the report said.
The allegations against UN personnel in entities other than peacekeeping were 94 in 2018.

"Reports of allegations related to personnel of implementing partners have increased to 109 in 2018, from 25 in 2017, suggesting that awareness-raising and outreach efforts are having an impact and that there is increased trust among victims and witnesses and increased understanding of the need to report," it said.
For the non-UN forces authorised by a Security Council mandate, the allegations reported were two in 2018 against one each in 2017 and 2016.

Source: https://in.news.yahoo.com/148-sexual-abuse-cases-against-peacekeeping-forces-121231548.html


Popular posts from this blog

How a cyber attack hampered Hong Kong protesters

Former FARC guerrilla, Colombian cop pose naked together to promote peace deal

‘Not Hospital, Al-Shifa is Hamas Hideout & HQ in Gaza’: Israel Releases ‘Terrorists’ Confessions’ | Exclusive