Terrorists repelled by Iraqis
BAGHDAD — Government forces and Shiite militiamen repelled two Islamic State group attacks in Anbar province on Saturday, officials said. In one attack, they used anti-tank missiles to stop four would-be suicide car bombers, officials said, as violence continues to roil the war-torn country.
Police and military officials said terrorists attacked the government-held town of Husseiba with heavy mortar fire early Saturday. They say the attackers retreated after an hours-long battle, leaving behind three destroyed vehicles and five dead fighters. At least 10 troops and militiamen were wounded in the clash.
Iraqi forces took Husseiba, near the terrorist-held provincial capital of Ramadi, from the Islamic State group last month.
The officials said that elsewhere in Anbar province, Iraqi troops using Russian anti-tank Kornet missiles destroyed four incoming suicide car bombs during an attack in the Tharthar area.
Iraqi forces, backed by Shiite militias, have been struggling to recapture areas lost to the Islamic State terrorists in the country's west and north. Last month, the terrorist group scored a stunning victory, overrunning Ramadi and capturing large amounts of ammunition and armored vehicles from fleeing government troops.