Australian terrorist fighters Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar reportedly killed in Iraq
Notorious Australian jihadists Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar have reportedly been killed in Iraq.
The pair, who has been fighting with ISIL and were said to be Australia's most wanted terrorists, is believed to have died in Mosul, the ABC's 7.30 program reports.
An associate close to the pair told the program the men had died in fighting in the past few days.
June 22, 2015: An associate of notorious Australian jihadists Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar has told ABC 730 the pair has been killed in Iraq.
June 22, 2015: Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has addressed the media following the reported deaths of Australian jihadists Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop addressed the media late this evening and said her department was working to verify the information.
"Our security, intelligence and law enforcement agencies will be working to verify these reports but I stress it's very difficult to gain the information necessary given that it is a war zone," Ms Bishop said.
"Australians should not be there and, again, we stress that any Australian thinking of going to Syria or Iraq or to the Middle East to support Daesh, to support this brutal terrorist organisation should not go.
June 22, 2015: Terrorist expert Dr Clarke Jones has told ABC’s Lateline program that the deaths of Australian jihadists Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar will be a "significant blow to ISIL".
"It's an offence against Australian law and it's adding to the misery and suffering of the people of Syria and Iraq and they're putting their own lives in danger."
Terrorism expert Dr Clarke Jones from Australian National University says if the pair has been killed it would be a big setback to ISIL and its recruitment in Australia.
"If the reports are true and are verified, I think it will significant blow to Islamic State – they played a fairly major role in the Islamic State," Dr Clarke told Lateline.
Sharrouf was particularly active on social media. (Supplied)
Mohamed Elomar was a former boxer in Sydney. (Supplied)
"Particularly Mohamed Elomar – he played a fairly significant role on social media in attracting people across to the so-called Islamic State."
Sharrouf shot to global infamy when he posted sickening images online of his young son holding the severed heads of murdered enemies.
Sharrouf, who served a four-year jail term for his role in the 2005 Pendennis terror plot, is believed to have survived a rocket attack on his car that killed three people in Syria last month.
His wife, Tara Nettleton, has reportedly been seeking to return to Sydney from Syria with the couple's five children, including a son also photographed last year holding a severed head.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has previously insisted the family should be shown no leniency.
This is a breaking news article. More information will be added as it comes to hand.
Do you know more? Email email@example.com
© ninemsn 2015
Do you have any news photos or videos?