Stockholm terror attack: Truck rams into people in Sweden

Stockholm terror attack: Truck rams into people in Sweden

The incident took place at Ahlens Mall in Klarabergsgatan.
People were seen running after a truck crashed into the mall earlier this afternoon
The back of the truck, sticking out of the shopping centre, is seen here
Shocking photographs show the devastation that has taken place outside of Ahlens Mall in Klarabergsgatan
Above shows a man being apprehended by police. Witnesses say this is the driver but this has not been confirmed by Swedish police
A man in scrubs was seen walking along the street with several emergency services people behind him
The truck is understood to have been stolen or hijacked from a Spendrups brewery. Extinguisher was seen being sprayed on to the vehicle.  
Prime Minister Stefan Löfven said everything pointed to the incident being a terror attack and confirmed one person has been arrested.
Armed police were scrambled to the scene and were seen marching into the store. 
A Swedish radio reporter said she had seen at least five dead bodies, Aftonbladet reported. 
Police spokeswoman Towe Hagg said: 'A vehicle has injured people on Drottningatan.' 
Witnesses described seeing a 'lone man' put a balaclava over his face before he drove the drunk into crowds of people. 
Anna who witnessed the incident, said: 'I saw hundreds of people ran, they ran for their lives.
'I turned and ran as well.' 
Eyewitness Jan Granroth was inside a shoe shop when he heard screams.
An injured person was seen being carried from the scene by a group of bystanders
Blood was seen on the streets outside of the shopping centre where five people are said to have been killed
Above are the scenes in the city currently, where dozens of emergency services vehicles are tending to injured people
A policeman was seen wearing a gas mask in the city centre
He told Swedish daily paper Aftonbladet: 'We stood inside a shoe store and people started screaming.
'So I looked out of the store and I saw a huge truck slam into the wall opposite.'
Mr Granroth managed to escape after running through an emergency exit.
Another witness, called Dimitris, described the panic and saw 'at least' two people being run over.
He said: I went to the main street when a big truck came out of nowhere. I could not see if anyone was driving it but it got out of control.
'I saw at least two being run over - I ran as fast as I could.'
A woman, called Anna, witnessed the incident and described seeing 'hundreds of people running for their lives'.
She said: 'I turned and ran after seeing hundreds of people running, they ran for their lives.' 
Shocking video footage showed hundreds of terrified shoppers sprint for their lives after the truck rammed into pedestrians.
Just moments after the suspected terrorist incident, armed police wearing gas masks quickly rushed to the scene and shut off the busy road in the centre of the capital.
Maria Nathalie was on the top floor of the store when the fire alarm was triggered.
Speaking on the phone, she told NBC: 'People started running down the stairs when the fire alarm started.
'When we came down to the bottom of the building all we could see was a lot of smoke.' 
This comes after trucks were used in terror attacks in Nice and Berlin last year. A car was also used to kill pedestrians in the Westminster Bridge two weeks ago which killed five people.   


The incident in the Swedish capital this afternoon mirrored a terror attack in central Stockholm in December 2010.
A fortnight before Christmas, a car blew up in a busy shopping area in Drottninggatan, followed moments later by a second explosion nearby.
The suicide bomber who blew himself up was identified as Iraqi man Taimour-Al-Abdaly, 28, who graduated with a BSc in sports therapy at the University of Bedfordshire in 2004.
He rigged an Audi car with explosives in the hope it would drive people to Drottninggatan, a busy shopping street about 200 yards away, where he was waiting to set off two more devices strapped to his chest and back.
The car bomb never went off, and after setting fire to the Audi he was unable to detonate the other two explosives as planned.
He made his way down a side street off Drottninggatan and, in an apparent attempt to fix the faulty trigger up his sleeve, set off the bomb on the front of his body, killing only himself. 
According to investigations by FBI, the bombing would likely have killed between 30 and 40 people had it succeeded.  
In March 2011, Strathclyde Police in Scotland arrested 30-year-old Nasserdine Menni in the Whiteinch area of Glasgow in connection with the Stockholm bombing. 
He was jailed for seven years in 2012 after being found guilty of supplying money.



Popular posts from this blog

A guided tour of the cybercrime underground

Bahrain Shia cleric warns troops not to attack women

Cybersecurity predictions for 2016: How are they doing?