French national kidnapped alongside four colleagues by militia in DR Congo



Latest update : 02/03/2017
© Federico Scoppa, AFP | Archival picture shows an old truck in the Gecamine factory in Korwezi on May 31, 2015
Article text by NEWS WIRES

Armed kidnappers have taken hostage five gold mine workers, including a Frenchman, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the French foreign ministry said Thursday.
The kidnapping victims work for Banro, a Canadian gold mining corporation that runs two mines in DR Congo and is exploring for the mineral elsewhere in the vast, resource-rich nation.
"We confirm the presence of a French national among the people kidnapped on March 1 in the east of DR Congo," the ministry said in a statement.
The local media had earlier reported the kidnapping, adding that it had taken place in the Kabambare area of Maniema province in the east of the country.
The French foreign ministry, which did not give the nationalities of the other victims, added that it had no information on the attackers' identities.
"We are mobilised and working with the Congolese authorities to shed light on the facts and to ensure our compatriot's release," the statement said.
(AFP)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's all gone wrong for Jihadi Scholng: Extremist sending willy pix toISIS babes mocked

A guided tour of the cybercrime underground

Bahrain Shia cleric warns troops not to attack women